AKS U16s into semi-finals of UCLA North of England Floodlit Cup

UCLAN North of England Floodlit Cup

AKS U16 31 St Ambrose College 5

Following weeks of postponements, the long over due fixture between AKS and St Ambrose U16s finally came to fruition in the quarter final of the UCLAN floodlit cup. So that the match could be played, St Ambrose kindly agreed to travel to AKS.

With a strong blustery wind, AKS won the toss and elected to take the more favourable end with the wind at their backs. From the kick off AKS secured the ball and Ellis Whorlton-Jones kicked the ball neatly in to the corner to immediately apply pressure to the St Ambrose team.

St Ambrose used their powerful centres to play out of their 22, but AKS continued to apply pressure. On 10 minutes, Alex Vowels-Bradley broke through the defensive line to barrel over under the post, converted by Tyne Davies, 7-0 to AKS.

Moments later AKS launched another attack which resulted in a spectucular AKS try. From a midfoeld scrum, the home side attacked left with Oskar Howarth picking up from the base. Some great inter-passing and movement by Elliot Fackey saw the ball passed from Matthew Garrod, to Blake Wilkinson then on to Jordan Makepeace who passed to Ellis Whorlton-Jones. Whorlton-Jones finished over a great team move in the corner. Davis added the extras and AKS now led 14-0.

AKS continued to use the wind effectively, kicking the visitors back into their own half and the resulting pressure saw Ellis WHorlton-Jones crash over for his second try of the game. This took the game to half time with the score at 19-0.

With the wind behind them in the second half, St Ambrose pinned AKS into their own 22 for long periods of time. Strong tackling from Kieran Kelly, John Cowell and Will Nickson prevented the visitors from crossing the line.

A break on the halfway line by Joe Frith-Jones, followed by some impressive inter-play, finished with Tom Lanigan crashing over the line for the first try of the second half. Score 24-0 to AKS.

From the kick off a silly penalty allowed the visitors to kick in to the corner and from the resulting lineout St Ambrose drove over to make the score 24-5.

St Ambrose again used the wind to pin AKS back but from a scrum 10 meters from their own line the home side launched their final attack of the game. A clear line break from Elliott Fackey saw him run the length of the pitch to make the final score 31-5.

The AKS U16s are now through to the semi-final of the competition and also have a delayed Lancashire Cup match against Liverpool College to be played.

Contact Details

Woodlands Memorial Ground
Blackpool Road
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire FY8 4EL

Telephone: 01253 732200
Fax: 01253 739137
Email: info@fylderugby.co.uk



RFU Accredited