Busy few days of AKS rugby - Oct 2012

U15B 39 QEGS Blackburn U15A 29

The U15Bs were in fantastic form as they won a high scoring match against a bigger and more athletic QEGS Blackburn U15A team.

AKS took an early lead as fine handling by Sam Proctor, Cal Duffy and Joe Haydar sent Jamie Bamber flying down the right touchline and AKS led 5-0. QEGS responded immediately to make it 5-5 but two tries just before half-time by Joe Haydar and a stunning length of the field run by Roshan Mohindra put the home side 15-5 ahead. Josh Singh, Ka Po Tsang and Alex Varsegi were impressive in the forwards and Sam Proctor was majestic at 10 as he directed some wonderful attacks.

The lead was improved further in a wonderful five minute spell at the start of the second half when Karthik Kinagi and Matthew Worsnip finished off some good team moves to extend the lead to 27-5. Luke Gill was at the centre of everything in the rucks and Roshan Mohindra was playing some of his best ever rugby.

However, QEGS came roaring back into the match with two superb tries to make it 27-15 with still 15 minutes left on the clock. Karthik Kinagi then scored a stunning 70 metre individual try and a good conversion by Haydar gave AKS a 34-15 lead. Aidan Bell-Smith and Kishan Mistry were working tirelessly in the pack, and after Joe Barrow's superb display at 9, Cal Duffy continued this in the second half. Haydar then finished off another well-crafted team move after good play from James Ellwood and James Luo, as AKS reached 39-15.

Amazingly, QEGS responded once again but they ran out of time in their bid to come back and their two late tries completed the scoring in a twelve try match.

Sadly, the AKS U15A lost out by 50-6 against a quite superb Lancaster RGS side in the Daily Mail Cup on Thursday.

2nd XV Spartans 23 QEGS Blackburn 1st XV 38

The 2nd XV lost out in another high scoring match against QEGS Blackburn 1st XV.

The 2nd XV looked good in the first few minutes but a loose pass was soon punished with a visitors' try. David Maddox soon reduced the deficit with a classy penalty kick. The game settled into a pattern with superb play coming from QEGS big and effective number 8 and the directness of the inside centre.

The AKS boys were playing a good brand of rugby and this led to the powerful Isaac Ackerley scoring yet another try this season. QEGS struck back with a couple of well taken tries that bookended, yet another classy kick to make it 17-11 at half time. The second half started with the visiting fly half kicking a straightforward penalty, which was soon answered with Adam Lanigan and Kieron Kelly combining from the base of a scrum.

The game was in the balance but the QEGS heavyweights put their experience to good effect with two rapid tries. In the final minutes the 2nd XV fought back and after numerous phases and a series of close drives John Cowell barged over for the last try of the game as the 2nd XV lost 38-23.

1st XV 15 Myerscough College 45

AKS 1st XV hosted Myerscough College in the Lancashire Cup on Saturday.

The physical Myerscough team asserted themselves early in the game with powerful running through the forwards and scored two tries close together to go 12-0 up. AKS then rose to the challenge with fierce tackling from Alex Stanier, Alastair Harper and Matthew Cartmell in the back row. Strong running from William Thompson in the centres took the home side into the Myerscough half and the pressure told as AKS were awarded a penalty, converted by Andrew Walkden.

AKS continued to apply pressure on the Myerscough team, attacking with determination, and strong running from Alex Casey and Matthew McLaughlin saw AKS awarded with a second penalty converted by Andrew Walkden. 6-12. Tom Lanigan put the Myerscough lineout under pressure pinching their ball numerous times, which allowed AKS to assert themselves in the game. Following a sniping run from Harry Kenworthy, AKS were awarded another penalty, again converted by Walkden, to reduce the deficit to 12-9.

AKS took advantage as the Myerscough team's discipline continued to deteriorate, and Walkden knocked over another penalty to make the score 12-12 at half-time.

The second half saw Myerscough up the tempo of the game, and despite a brave defensive effort from the AKS team, including Elliot Fackey at full back and AKS holding the ball up over the line on numerous occasions, Myerscough ran in a number of tries only to be replied with another penalty by Walkden. The final score was 45-15.

Despite the final score line after a close first half, Mr Jones and Mr Holmes were very proud of the effort and endeavour of the young AKS team throughout the game, who battled up until the final whistle. Speaking after the game, Mr Holmes said, "The team worked hard today. I imagine there will be some sore bodies in the morning as this was an extremely physical encounter for our young squad. They will have learned from the experience and can enter games with confidence that they can cope against much bigger and more physical opposition."

Contact Details

Woodlands Memorial Ground
Blackpool Road
Lytham St. Annes
Lancashire FY8 4EL

Telephone: 01253 732200
Fax: 01253 739137
Email: info@fylderugby.co.uk



RFU Accredited